Dear Parents of D/HH kids that are learning sign,
I have had the pleasure to visit with several families of kiddos you are D/HH that are learning sign language. Nothing warms my heart more to see families working so hard to learn their child’s language and work to communicate with them. Some thoughts for these hard working families.
1. Thank you! Thank you for sharing our wonderful language with your family. It can’t be easy to have a job and a family and a child that is different than you and learning a new language all at the same time.
2. Deaf Culture! You are opening your child and your family up to a new culture. Meet Deaf adults and join our community. We want to meet the young Deaf people in our community and we want to help you learn to sign. We have much to accomplish and we can only do it together.
3. We are proud of you! This is not an easy journey. Way to go Mom and Dad. You are signing and learning. We are so very proud of you. Never Give up! Yes your child will learn to sign faster than you. Sign and learn anyway. Learn as often and as much as you can. Don’t be afraid to ask questions or make mistakes.
4. Please expose your d/hh children to Deaf/HH adults. It is so important for them to see a role model that is like them. D/HH kiddos need to have a vision of adulthood. They need to see D/HH adults working, going to college, and being self-sufficient people. They need to see how to navigate in the hearing world.
5. Deaf Pride! Your child has a beautiful language and culture. We are proud to welcome your child into our world and proud to count you and your families as Deaf allies. This won’t always be easy or pleasant. People will say hurtful things and stare. But take pride in your child and the culture. We are an amazing people.
Let your hands be heard
Jennifer Dahlgren Richardson
Let Your Hands Be Heard will address issues relating to Deaf Culture, Interpreting, Self-Advocacy and students entering fields pertaining to the Deaf community. Jennifer will format each blog like a letter to a specific group of people. Who do you want Jennifer to write to? Thanks for watching!